Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Herschel Walker Should Be Taken Serious

When you hear Herschel Walker’s name many remember the University of Georgia running back that ruled college football and won the Heisman back in 1982.
Yes, that same Herschel Walker who played for the Dallas Cowboys only to have the Minnesota Vikings give up six draft choices to acquire him. It’s the very same Herschel Walker who ran for 8,225 yards in his NFL career as well as score 61 touchdowns. Now it’s 2011, that very same Herschel Walker who was fired by Donald Trump on the Apprentice is now 48 years old and is 2-0 in mixed martial arts.
No that is not a sentence that is a complete typo, Herschel Walker is undefeated in MMA and looks to be very serious on his intentions of winning and continuing his MMA career which seemed like nothing more than a fluke until he hit someone.
Last night at Strikeforce: Diaz vs. “Cyborg”, Walker faced a promising 6’2 215 pound prospect in Scott Carson (4-2) unfortunately for Carson Walker isn’t a normal 48 year old man. Walker even at 48 is a genetic freak of nature he does 2,000 sit ups a day as well as 750 pushups and is an avid kickboxer. All of these things are apparent when he fights. From the opening bell Walker dominated, Carson landed a high kick early and it did nothing but anger the beast for Walker to unleash. Walker destroyed Carson in 3:13 of round 1, using his striking in a fight he wanted to showcase more of his ground game. Walker however showed a little ground game when he picked up Carson and slammed him like he was
Quinton Jackson then landed a huge right hand and ground and pounded his way to TKO stoppage. After the fight Walker stated “MMA is my love,” after improving his record to 2-0, Walker pondered the possibility of a return to football in the days leading up to the fight. “I know I can play, If I continue to stay in the shape I’m in now, I know I can play when I’m 50. Right now, if you asked if I can play today, there’s absolutely no doubt in my mind I can play football today, that I can help out a team today. I 100% guarantee you I can help a football team out.” As dominate as Walker looks in MMA at only 220 there is a chance football is only for one last huge pay day but at his age no team would give him more than probably 100,000 for the entire season so expect Herschel to continue to show up in the cage.
By Sean Farrell

No comments:

Post a Comment